Things you could do to help...
When looking looking for vacancies
Encourage them to...
- Use the YCH Services for Youth People Employment Service
- Register with the National Apprenticeships Service
- Check local newspapers each week for vacancies
- Ask family and friends to let them know if they they hear of any jobs
- Write speculative letters to employers they are interested in
- Use local employment agencies
- Look on the internet at job search websites
When writing a CV or completing an application
- That their email address and answerphone message must be professional
- That they need to make any phone calls themself
Offer to help them...
- Iidentify their key skills and qualities and think of examples to illustrate when they have used these
- Think of outside interests and achivements which could strengthen their application
- Tailor their CV or application to the job by including relevant information
- By double-checking spelling and grammar
When going for an interview
Make sure they...
- Have researched information about the company
- Dress appropriately
- Have planned their journey and how long it will take
More information is available in our Job seekers page
Parental Guidance - a website written by the Careers Writers Association for Parents and Carers, or those supporting young people with their future decisions